About Gayatri Mantra
Gayatri Mantra is the mantra passed down in India for generations.
“The Gayatri Mantra is the Universal Prayer enshrined in the Vedas, the most ancient Scriptures of Man. This mantra is a Prayer that can well be spoken by men and women of all creeds and climates in all centuries. Chanting this mantra will develop the intelligence.”
(Excerpt from “The Power and The Potency of the Gayatri Mantra”)
Mr. Takeshita says that Gayatri Mantra is the most important mantra Man is endowed with.
There are negative energies, thoughts and feelings everywhere in this world, whose influence cannot be completely unrelated to our happiness/unhappiness. Assiduous chanting of this mantra can improve our vibrations by removing negative influence which our body and mind have been affected by. This helps us maintain proper way of living and live a happy and peaceful life.
Gayatri Mantra may be translated in many ways.
≫ Open the "The Power and The Potency of Gayatri Mantra"'s Translation
How may Gayatri Mantra be translated?
OM - Para Brahman
BHUR - Bhu loka (Physical plane). It also refers to the body made up of the 5 Pancha Bhutas (5 elements). These 5 elements constitute Prakriti (Nature).
BHUVA - Bhuva loka - The middle world. Bhuva is also Prana Sakthi. However, it is the presence of Prajnana that enables the Prana Sakthi to animate the body. It is on this account that the Vedas have declared "Prajnanam Brahma" (Constant Integrated Awareness is Brahmam).
SVAHA - Swarga loka (Heaven - the land of the Gods) (SS 9/95-234)
TAT - Paramatma, God or Brahman
SAVITUR - That from which all this is born
VARENYAM - Fit to be worshipped
BHARGO - The Radiance, the Spiritual Effulgence, the Light that bestows Wisdom
DEVASYA - Divine Reality
DHEEMAHI - We meditate
DHIYO - Buddhi, Intellect
YO - Which
NAH - Our
PRACHODAYAT - Enlighten.
Gayatri Mantra may be translated in many ways. One such translation is as follows:
(OM) OM (Dheemahi) We meditate (Bhargo) upon the Spiritual Effulgence (Varenyam Devasya) of THAT Adorable Supreme Divine Reality (Savitur) the Source (Bhur, Bhuva, Svaha) of the Physical, the Astral and the Heavenly Spheres of Existence. (TAT) May THAT Supreme Divine Being (Prachodayat) enlighten (Yo) which (Nah) our (Dhi Yo) intellect (so that we may realise the Supreme Truth).
Also: Dhi Yo YoNah Prachodayat = Awaken my Discrimination, O Lord and guide me. (GEETHA VAHINI - 3)
Important Notes on chanting Gayatri Mantra
- As Gayatri Mantra is very powerful, improperly chanting it will lead you to ruin.
- According to Mr. Takeshita, it is dangerous unless you chant the mantra following the instruction by Sathya Sai Baba (e.g. on intonation).
- There is a variety of Gayatri Mantra: the one chanted by somebody other than Sathya Sai Baba, the one accompanying background music, the one in the form of song and so on. You should never chant or sing it in that way. It will be not only ineffective but lead to your ruin in the worst case. According to Mr. Takeshita, just possessing such CD is dangerous.
- The woman is advised not to chant this mantra during the menstrual period because it inhibits her physiological function.
How to chant Gayatri Mantra (with an audio file)
Repeat Gayatri Mantra.
You are recommended to repeat the Mantra three times or a multiple of 108 times ( 108 times =1 mala); Generally, 3 times, 3 malas or 10 malas.
Finish chanting the prayer with the word “OM Shanti Shanti Shanti (hi),” which means “I’ll finish my prayer.”
- You may pray either aloud or in the silence of your heart.
- You can repeatedly chant it while walking or doing something.
- You can purify your body and mind merely by chanting it many times (e.g. 3 malas).
- Most people cannot pronounce the Sanskrit correctly. Try to emulate the way Sathya Sai Baba chants as best you can. Don’t rush. It is important to chant the Mantra wholeheartedly.
- If you chant at the above-mentioned audio speed, it will take about 40 minutes to chant it one mala (108 times). As long as you chant it wholeheartedly, chanting it faster is all right.
- You are advised to use a string of 108 beads if you would like to chant many times: 1mala, 3malas or 10 malas.
For further information
Mr. Takeshita’s lecture on Gayatri Mantra will be available at this site in the near future.
Further information on Gayatri Mantra, vibrations, Chakras and their usage is provided in the e-book “Prayers using Gayatri Mantra” (published by Kojika Books). For those who want to utilize this mantra in every situation of daily life, this book is a must. The e-book in English version will be available in the near future.
This is a detailed commentary on Gayatri Mantra by Sathya Sai Baba.